Uber is quite possibly one of the best ways to get around from Disney resort to Disney resort.
Since Disney buses can’t go from a resort to another resort, using Uber makes the process a whole lot easier and more convenient.
This especially comes in handy when you’re trying to make it to your dinner or breakfast reservation from your resort.
But for some of us, Uber may be a new thing that you never heard of. But don’t worry, I got you covered in this in-depth guide on how to use Uber at Disney World.
What is Uber?
Uber is an app that allows it’s user to request an Uber driver to pick you up and take you wherever you want. It’s basically like riding a taxi without the need of paying or tipping the driver directly.
It’s by far the easiest way to get from point A to point B.
Where Can You Use Uber at Disney World?
You can use Uber almost everywhere in Orlando (check out Uber’s Guide to Orlando here) as well as Disney World Resort:
- To request a ride to or from Magic Kingdom, you need to set your destination or pickup location as the “Ticket and Transportation Center.”
- The TTC (Ticket and Transportation Center) is where you purchase tickets as well as board Disney monorail or ferry.
- To request a ride to Epcot, you need to enter “Epcot Bus Stop” as your destination. You’ll be dropped off in the bus drop-off area of Epcot which is just steps from the main entrance of Epcot Center.
- The same applies to when you’re looking to get picked up from Epcot. Just set your pickup pin at the “Epcot Bus Stop.”
- When you request a ride to Animal Kingdom, you’ll be dropped off at the Taxi area which is just steps from the main entrance.
- To request a ride from Animal Kingdom, you’ll need to head to the Taxi Drop-Off area which is just outside the main entrance to your left pass the parking tram.
- When you request a ride to Hollywood Studios, you’ll be dropped off at the Taxi area which is just steps from the main entrance.
- To request a ride from Hollywood Studios, you’ll need to head to the Taxi Drop-Off area which is just outside the main entrance to your right around/behind the Disney bus stops.
- To request a ride to Disney Springs, you’ll be dropped off at the Strawberry parking lot.
- Then you’re ready to leave, request a ride and just follow the signs to the Strawberry parking. And don’t worry, when leaving Disney Springs, the Uber app will automatically drop a pin for the Strawberry Lot.
For more tips about using Uber at Walt Disney World, be sure to check out their guide.
Some Places You Can’t Use Uber (or UberX)
However, there are a few places that you can’t.
- Magic Kingdom – Since only Disney buses, the monorail, the ferry, and the smaller boats are able to go directly to Magic Kingdom, taxis, cars, and Ubers are prohibited for going anywhere near the entrance/bus stops. That’s why if you really need to catch an Uber, it’s best to walk to the Contemporary resort and catch your Uber there. However, just be aware that during busier times of the year, Uber drivers may not be able to enter the premises. But that’s very rare. Other than that, you can follow the tip mentioned in the above section and request an Uber for the Ticket and Transportation Center.
- Coronado Springs Casitas – You can get picked up at the Coronado Springs without any problems, just not at the Casitas section. If you happen to be in that part of the resort, you can catch your Uber at the main building.
- Orlando Airport – If you’re looking to picked up from Orlando International Airport, the only Uber service you can use is UberSELECT (58-$74 to Disney) or uberFAMILY. UberX is strictly prohibited from picking up at the airport and the app makes sure of it by completing blocking out that fare. However, you can still use UberX to drop you off at the airport without any problems. You’ll learn more about the different fare and car types in the next sections.
Here are some great Uber discounts and codes that you can use if you want to save some money on your rides to and from Walt Disney World as well as the surrounding Orlando area.
- PROMO CODE: I recommend using this code UberAdamBryan to get a free ride. Or…
- CLICK HERE to get a free ride of up to $15.
Either link will save you money!
How Does Uber Work at Disney?
Here’s how to use the Uber app on your smartphone:
Launching the Uber App
The first thing you’ll want to do is open the app.
Then from there you’ll enter your destination.
Types of Uber Vehicles and Fares
Here’s the type of vehicles and fares you have the option of selecting when requesting an Uber ride after you open the app:
- uberX – This is the cheapest option which typical accommodates up to 4 riders in any type of car, usually a sedan. Since most UberX drivers are using their own cars, the type of vehicle can vary vastly.
- uberXL -With this type of car you can accommodate up to 6 passengers in a SUV or minivan.
- UberSELECT – This is the moderately expensive option that can accommodate up to 4 passengers in a luxury vehicle such as a Lexus, Audi, BMW, or Mercedes.
- uberX + Car Seat – Just like the normal uberX service but it also includes a car seat in the car for you child child.
- uberXL + Car Seat – A larger vehicle that also offers a car seat option for your child.
Request Your Car
Then once you choose your destination and ride type, all you need to do is request your car.
From this screen, you’ll also see how long until your driver arrives as well as how much your fare will be.
Requesting Your Ride
Once you request your ride, your app will start to search for the best driver that’s will to accept pick you up and take you to your destination.
Then once a driver has been found, you’ll see their information on the app including a picture of them, the make and model of their car, and their rating.
You can also use this screen (once you tap on the driver’s picture) to cancel your trip, split your Uber fare or even share your estimated time of arrival with anyone via text message.
Plus if you have specific details about where you want to be picked up, you can contact the driver via text or a phone call.
This makes the pickup process so much easier.
Riding in Your Requested Car
Then once your Uber arrives, all you need to do is sit back relax and enjoy the ride to your destination.
Then once you get there, just walk on out. No tipping, no money exchange needed.
It’s that simple.
Once your ride concludes, you’ll then get an email and notification telling you how much your trip was, as well as an option to rate your ride on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best.
When You Should Use Uber
Here are the best reasons to use Uber at Walt Disney World:
- Going from Disney resort to Disney resort – If you’re staying in a Disney resort or any resort in general, it’s impossible to catch a bus from your resort to another resort. The only way you can do this is to take your resort bus to a park, then from there catch the resort bus to your desired destination.
- Going off Disney property – If you’re going to other parks like Universal Studios or Sea World, local non-Disney restaurants, or shopping malls off property, Uber is one of the best ways to get around Orlando, especially if you don’t have a rental car.
- Early morning breakfast reservations – If you have an early breakfast reservation and you need to get there in a hurry, using an Uber is one of the quickest ways to get there. Although Disney buses are always running early in the morning, they won’t come as frequent meaning that you may have to wait a longer time in between buses. And with Disney’s advanced dining reservation cancellation policy, the last thing you’d want to do is miss your reservation time slot and get charged $10 a person.
- Going from Disney resort to non-Disney resort or vice versa – Since there’s no way to get to another hotel, Disney or not, using Uber is the best option.
When You Shouldn’t Use Uber
As great as Uber is when it comes to getting around Disney property, there are a few times when you shouldn’t use it:
- Getting picked up from the airport – UberX (the cheapest option) is allowed to pick up from the airport because that’s reserved only for uberBLACK cars. As a result, you’ll be paying a lot more, almost double in most cases just to go from the airport to Walt Disney World Resort. Sure there are ways around this, but it’s still a pretty pricey option.
- Surge pricing – There are times of the year and day when pricing is higher due to demand. As a result, you should try to avoid using this app during peak times, especially during holidays like New Years eve.
- When your kids are 5 or younger – Since it’s required by Florida law that kids under 5 must be in a car seat, the only Uber you can use is UberFAMILY and that tends to come with a surcharge. The only way around this is to use your own portable car seat and put it in the car yourself.
What To Do To Get Started With Uber
If this seems like something you’re interested in and would probably use during your next trip, I recommend that you download the app using my code (see below) that way you can get your free ride for free!
Just click on the link to get started!
What About Lyft?
Uber isn’t the only service that can get you from point A to point B cheaply in Walt Disney World.
Another player in the game is Lyft, which is almost identical to Uber.
And the best part about it is that by using my special promotional code, you’ll get $50 in free rides with Lyft.
Not bad if you ask me.
Uber is a great way to get around Walt Disney World property especially if you’re looking to go to a delicious restaurant or dinner show, without all the hassles of taking multiple busses and other nuances.
Plus it’s a super easy and affordable way to get from point A to point B during your vacation, especially if taking buses or driving your car isn’t your thing.
So with that being said, thanks for reading and hopefully you try Uber out at least once during your next visit to Walt Disney World.